Today’s Guest Blogger is Roxanne Koopman (follow her on twitter! @). Roxanne is a 2nd year special needs teacher at Corden Porter School. Corden Porter is an alternative school focused on helping students with behavioral problems/needs. It is crazy how awesome she is!
Snow Day #2 – 11:05 AM
As I look outside the living room window into the beautiful, snow laced…apartment complex parking lot (c’mon I am a second year teacher) I begin to feel cabin fever coming on. I have looked at Facebook numerous times, Twitter, Instagram, you name it – by 11 AM on Snow Day #2 I have already looked at it. I have subconscious checklist of things that I should be doing for my teacher life in the back of my head and this post is one of those things. I volunteered to write this post during a morning PD with Katie Hutchinson when I was showing off a website that I use quite often. I’m fairly certain that K. Hutch intentionally plays to my highly competitive side to get what she wants!
The website that I was showing off is called Gynzy.(No, I don’t know how to say it either!) It is a website that is made to work with your SMART or Promethean Board. The site provides great introductory videos here (HELP!). I am going to tell you about some of my favorite features of the site but it will require you to explore the features to get the full effect. I recommend that you click here and make a FREE account before clicking the links below.
- Alphabetical Order
- Use this tool to let students put words in alphabetical order. Interactive! YEAH!
- Let students practice forming letters using this interactive tool!
- Story Cubes
- If you like the Story Cubes you can buy in the store you will LOVE these!
- Character Analysis Map
- If you are working on character traits this is a great interactive to use with students!
- Birthday Party / Birthday Song
- Great for that embarrassing day for a student! I am cheesy and sing as loud as I can so this is the icing on the cake!
- Game Show
- Make your own Jeopardy board! This is a simple to use lay out! Way cool!
- Pick Your Partner
- An interactive way for students to have a choice in picking their partner for an activity. Try it out!
- Use this tool to create a moving time line of the school day. This is great for students who need a visual schedule of the day. This takes some time to set up but once you do it is AWESOME!
- Human Body
- Very cool! Interact with the human body!
- The Water Cycle
- Teaching the water cycle? CLICK HERE!
- 3 States of Water
- Great visual for students!
- Food Groups
- The world has gone healthy! Teach students about it here!
- Base Ten Blocks
- Teachers can lead students easily with this visual!
- Counting Money
- I used this tool one day to de-escalate a behavior student, I’ve sworn by it ever since.
- Word Problems
- Pre-made word problems that students can solve. Answers included!
- Snap Cubs
- Lead your students in group activities using snap cubes on your SMART board.
- The Math Safe
- Have students crack the code of the Math Safe. LOGIC REQUIRED!
- Fraction Circle
- Great visual for students when working with fractions.
- Compare Fractions
- Compare fractions using <, >, =.
- Pearl Harbor Lesson Plan
- Follow this lesson plan to teach students about Pearl Harbor. (Site has MANY more lesson pre-made plans)
- US Presidential Timeline
- Follow our Presidential History!
- Map of the World
- Interactive map!
- Map of the United States
- Interactive map!
- State Maps
- Learn history and topography of the United States.
- United States History Timeline
- Research and discover our history from 1706 until now.